|Type 2 severe acute respiratory syndrome caused by coronavirus infection has become the most well-known pandemic infectious viral disease in the present century. This study aims to find out the post-COVID-19 infection complications via a well-designed observational study. A total of 986 recovered cases (only the period ranged between 2 to 3 months after recovery) were obtained from public and private hospitals in Kirkuk and Erbil governorates\Iraq. The admitted patients were asked to answer a questionnaire through interviews; the laboratory findings were obtained from the patients. The results suggested that approximately half of post-COVID-19 patients (%45.606) were suffering from chest pain, while (%32.357) of the cases suffered headache and chest pain. Liver enzymes (ALT, AST, and ALP) showed abnormal percent values of 38.6,24.07, and 26.09, respectively. Renal function enzymes, mainly urea, were found to be abnormal in 45.37% of recovered individuals. Furthermore, abnormal LDH levels were found in (77.9%) of post-COVID-19patients. This finding revealed that chest pain was an inflammatory condition and liver and renal enzyme disturbances, while elevation in LDH was the predominant long-term complication in post-COVID-19 patients.|
- Afrin LB, Weinstock LB, Molderings GJ. Covid-19 hyperinflammation and post-Covid-19 illness may be rooted in mast cell activation syndrome. Int J Infect Dis. 2020;100:327-32.
- Gupta A, Madhavan MV, Sehgal K, Nair N, Mahajan S, Sehrawat TS, et al. Extrapulmonary manifestations of COVID-19. Nat Med. 2020;26(7):1017-32.
- Moreno-Pérez O, Merino E, Leon-Ramirez J-M, Andres M, Ramos JM, Arenas-Jiménez J, et al. Post-acute COVID-19 syndrome. Incidence and risk factors: A Mediterranean cohort study. J Infect Dis. 2021;82(3):378-83.
- Liu JWTW, De Luca R, Mello Neto HO, Barcellos I. Post-COVID-19 Syndrome? New daily persistent headache in the aftermath of COVID-19. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2020;78:753-4.
- Rocha‐Filho PAS, Voss L. Persistent headache and persistent anosmia associated with COVID‐19. Headache. 2020.
- Greenhalgh T, Knight M, Buxton M, Husain L. Management of post-acute covid-19 in primary care. BMJ. 2020;370.
- Zhang P, Li J, Liu H, Han N, Ju J, Kou Y, et al. Long-term bone and lung consequences associated with hospital-acquired severe acute respiratory syndrome: a 15-year follow-up from a prospective cohort study. Bone Res. 2020;8(1):1-8.
- Lagana SM, De Michele S, Lee MJ, Emond JC, Griesemer AD, Tulin-Silver SA, et al. COVID-19–associated hepatitis complicating recent living donor liver transplantation. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2020;144(8):929-32.
- Silva Andrade B, Siqueira S, de Assis Soares WR, de Souza Rangel F, Santos NO, dos Santos Freitas A, et al. Long-COVID and post-COVID health complications: an up-to-date review on clinical conditions and their possible molecular mechanisms. Viruses. 2021;13(4):700.
- Sonzogni A, Previtali G, Seghezzi M, Alessio MG, Gianatti A, Licini L, et al. Liver and COVID 19 infection: a very preliminary lesson learnt from histological post-mortem findings in 48 patients. 2020.
- Balachandar V, Mahalaxmi I, Subramaniam M, Kaavya J, Kumar NS, Laldinmawii G, et al. Follow-up studies in COVID-19 recovered patients-is it mandatory? Sci Total Environ. 2020;729:139021.
- Andrade B, Siqueira S, Soares WdA, Rangel FdS, Santos N, Freitas AdS. Long‑COVID and post‑COVID health complications: an up‑to‑date review on clinical conditions and their possible molecular mechanisms. Viruses. 2021.
- Korompoki E, Gavriatopoulou M, Fotiou D, Ntanasis‐Stathopoulos I, Dimopoulos MA, Terpos E. Late‐onset hematological complications post COVID‐19: An emerging medical problem for the hematologist. Am J Hematol. 2022;97(1):119-28.