|Unsuitable agronomic management, such as intensive cropping and removal of whole crop residue from soils, has caused a gradual and continuous decline of soil organic matter in many arid and semi-arid regions. This mismanagement has resulted in improper soil physical properties. Application of organic wastes composts containing municipal solid waste and sewage sludge composts could solve the problem. Addition of composts to soil leads to the development and stability of soil structure. In order to study the effect of organic compounds on soil physical properties, this study was carried out with a completely randomized design in a factorial experiment in three replications. The treatments included soil type (silty loam and clay), type of compost (municipal solid waste, sewage sludge, and cow manure), and the amount of organic fertilizers (0, 75, 150, and 300 m3 / ha equivalent to 0, 175, 350, and 700 cm3/pot). Soil samples were air-dried, passed through 2 mm sieve, and mixed with composts treatments and filled in 7-liter pots. Physical properties of soil samples including bulk density, particle density, porosity, dispersible clay content and wet and dry mean weight diameter of aggregates (MWD) were measured. The highest decrease in soil bulk density and dispersible clays and an increase in wet MWD were observed in the highest rate of sewage sludge application. Effects of organic amendments on soil particle density, porosity, and dry MWD were not significant. Decrease in bulk density and dispersible clay content was more in the silty loam soil, while the increase in dry and wet MWD was higher in the clay soil. |
- بهرهمند، م.ر.، م. افیونی.، م.ع. حاج عباسی و ی. رضایی نژاد. 1381. اثر لجن فاضلاب بر برخی ویژگی های فیزیکی خاک. علوم و فنون کشاورزی و منابع طبیعی. 6(4): 1-10.
- زایری، ع.، ی. رضایی نژاد.، م. افیونی و ح. شریعتمداری. 1384. اثرات تجمعی و باقیمانده لجن فاضلاب بر پایداری خاکدانه ها، نفوذپذیری و جرم مخصوص ظاهری خاک. مجله علمی کشاورزی. 28(1): 101-110.
- میرزایی تالار پشتی، ر.، ج. کامبوزیا.، ح. صباحی و ع. مهدوی دامغانی. 1388. اثر کاربرد کودهای آلی بر خصوصیات فیزیکو شیمیایی خاک و تولید محصول و ماده خشک گوجه فرنگی. پژوهشهای زراعی ایران. 7(1): 259-270.
- Avnimelech, Y., M. Kochva, and Y. Yotal. 1989. The use of compost as soil amendment. The International Symposium on Compost Fecycling of the Wastes. Athens, Greece.
- Capriel, P., R. Beck, H. Borchert, and P. Harter. 1990. Relationship between soil aliphatic fraction extracted with supercritical hexane, soil microbial biomass, and soil aggregate stability. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 45: 415-421.
- Casado – Vela, J., S. Selles., J. Navarro., M. A. Bustamante., J. Mataix., C. Guerrero, and I. Gomez. 2006. Evaluation of composted sewage sludge as nutritional source for horticultural soils. Waste Management. 26: 946-952.
- Celik, I., I. Ortas. and S. Kilic. 2004. Effects of compost, mycorrhiza, manure and fertilizer on some physical properties of chromoxerert. Soil and Tillage Research 78 (1): 59-67.
- Chesters G., O. J. Attone, and O. N. Allen. 1957. Soil aggregation in relation to various soil constituents. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Proc. 21: 272-273.
- Dexter, A.R. and E.A. Czyz. 2000. Effects of soil management on the dispersibility of clay in a sandy soil. Int. Agrophysics. 14:269-272.
- Dick, W. A., and E. L. McCoy. 1993. Enhancing soil fertility by addition of compost. p 622-644. In: H.A. Hoitink, and H.M. Keener (eds.) Science and engineering of composting. Vol. 1, Wooster, Ohio.
- Evanylo, G. 1997. Effects of organic and chemical Inputs on soil quality. Crop and Soil Environmental News.Virginia Cooperative Extension. Online available in: http://www.ext.vt.edu/news/periodicals/cses /1996-12/dec1203.html.
- Foley B. J. and L.R. Cooperband. 2002. Paper mill residuals and compost effects on soil carbon and physical properties. Journal of environmental quality. 31: 2086-2095.
- Garcia – Orenes , F., C. Guerrero., J. Mataix – Solera., J. Navarro – Pedreno., I. Gomez, and J. Mataix – Beneyto. 2005. Factors controlling the aggregate stability and bulk density in two different degraded soils amended with biosolids. Soil and Tillage Research. 82: 65- 76
- Hernando, S., M. C. Lobo, and A. Polo. 1989. Effect of the application of a municipal refuse compost on the physical and chemical properties of soil. The science of the total environment, 81/82: 589-596.
- Klute, A. 1996. Methods of Soil Analysis, Part I: Physical and Mineralogical Methods. SSSA Book Series No.5. Soil Sci. Soc. America Madison, WI. pp 1188.
- Lee, J.J., R.D. Park, Y.W. Kim, J. H. Shim, D.H. Chae, Y.S. Rim, B.K. Sohn, T.H. Kim, and K.Y. Kim. 2004. Effect of food waste compost on microbial population, soil enzyme activity and luttuce growth. Bioresource Technol. 93(1): 21-28.
- Marinari, S., G. Masciandaro., B. Ceccanti, and S. Grego. 2000. Influence of organic and mineral fertilisers on soil biological and physical properties. Bioresource Technology. 72: 9-17.
- Paré, T., H. Dinel, and M. Schnitzer. Extractability of trace metals during co-composting of biosolids and municipal solid wastes. Biol. Fert. Soils. 29: 31–37.
- Rodriguez, M. S., J. M. Lopez-Real, and H. C. Lee. 1994. Composted organic wastes for spring wheat (Triticum aestivum cv. Canon) production. 3rd ESA congress, Abano-Padova.
- Shelton, J.L.1997. Using Municipal solid waste compost. Nerthcurolina cooperative extension service. Pub. AG-439-19.
- Sparks, D. 1996. Methods of soil analysis, Part 2: Chemical methods. SSSA Book Series No.5. Soil Sci. Soc. of America, Madison,WI. p 1264.
- Stewart, D. P. C., K. C. Cameron, I.S. Cornforth and J.R. Sedcole.1998. Effects of spent mushroom substrate on physical condition and plant growth in an intensive horticultural system. Australian J. Soil Res. 36: 899-912.
- Tejada, M, and J. L. Gonzalez. 2007. Influence of organic amendments on soil structure and soil loss under simulated rain. Soil and Tillage Research. 93:197–205.
- Tester, C. F. 1990. Organic amendment effects on physical and chemical properties of a sandy soil. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 54: 827-831.